Youth Mental Health First Aid and Mental Health Frist Aid trainings are provided free of charge thanks to a grant from United Way. Up to 7 CEUs can be earned for participating in these trainings. Youth Mental Health Aid and Mental Health First Aid cources are open to everyone in the community - the more people who are trained to deal with kids and adults in crisis the better!
Learning Objectives for 8-hour Youth Mental Health First Aid Course:
Youth Mental Health First Aid is an 8-hour training course designed to give members of the public key skills to help an adolescent who is developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. The 8-hour course covers a range of common disorders and potential crises such as helping a young person who is having a panic attack, is contemplating suicide or is struggling with substance abuse.
Youth Mental Health First Aid certification teaches participants to:
- Recognize the potential risk factors and warning signs of a variety of mental health challenges common among adolescents, including: depression, anxiety, psychosis, eating disorders, AD/HD, disruptive behavioral disorders, and substance use disorders.
- Use a 5-step action plan to help a young person in crisis connect with appropriate professional help.
- Interpret the prevalence of various mental health disorders in youth within the U.S. and the need for reduced negative attitudes in their communities.
- Apply knowledge of the appropriate professional, peer, social, and self-help resources available to help a young person with a mental health problem treat and manage the problem and achieve recovery.
- Assess their own views and feelings about youth mental health problems and disorders.
Learning Objectives for 8-hour Mental Health First Aid Course:
Adult Mental Health First Aid is appropriate for anyone 18 years and older who is interested in learning about how to help an individual who may be experiencing a mental health crisis or problem. Some topics that are covered in the 8 hour training include: anxiety, depression, psychosis, and addiction.
Adult Mental Health First Aid certification teaches participants to:
- Provide help to an individual experiencing a mental health disorder or mental health crisis before appropriate help arrives.
- Utilize a 5 step action plan that can help the First Aider with the individual in crisis until help arrives.
- Identify risk factors and warning signs of a mental health crisis or disorder like anxiety, depression, psychosis and addiction.
Youth Mental Health First Aid trainings will be held:
March 19, 2019- FULL
May 2, 2019
Mental Health First Aid trainings will be held:
March 29, 2019- FULL
April 16, 2019
Click to view additional information:
If you would like to schedule a training for your staff or you would like to attend one of our listed trainings, please contact Katelyn Springer at firstname.lastname@example.org